[fedora-virt] Guest resolution notabug?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Feb 16 08:43:39 UTC 2010

On 16/02/10 00:35, Kenni Lund wrote:

> To archive what you want, eg. to have other resolutions in your VM,
> you can try emulate other graphics cards. You probably have a Cirrus
> Logic graphics card emulated in your VM now, try with some of the
> others, if I remember correctly "Standard VGA" or "Vesa" will allow
> you to use more (higher) resolutions.

You're quite correct that you need to use a different emulated graphics
card to get higher resolutions, but even then you will (with a linux
guest) need to write an xorg.conf by hand to get those modes as there is
no emulated monitor to respond to DDC queries from X with a list of
available resolutions so it defaults to only allowing a couple of low
resolution modes.

Windows guests do seem to allow a wider choice of resolutions by default
when there is no monitor available to respond to DDC queries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/