[fedora-virt] Spice problem

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 14:01:03 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 03:40 AM, Eric Viseur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently setting up a virtualization system using Fedora 18, KVM and Open
> vSwitch.  I've created and successfully integrated my OVS bridge into
> libvirt.  However, if this bridge doesn't have an assigned IP address (and it
> won't in production mode), I can't start any VM, with Spice complaining with
> the following error :
>
> ((null):6425): Spice-Warning **:
> reds.c:2977:reds_init_socket: getaddrinfo(127.0.0.1,5900): Address family for
> hostname not supported
> qemu-kvm: failed to initialize spice server
>
> I don't understand from where it comes, since the local loop interface is up.
> Can anyone help me on this ?  Thanks !

That error makes me think it's something to do with ipv6 vs. ipv4. But it's
tough to say without more details. Does this fail?

nc -l 127.0.0.1 5900

Try with -4 and/or -6 switches. If so, there's something wrong with your host
network configuration independent of qemu.

If that doesn't fail, I'd grab the qemu command line from
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log, and try to reduce it to a minimal
reproducer. Maybe something like:

qemu-kvm -netdev bridge,br=<BRIDGENAME> -spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1

You would need to alter the whitelist in /etc/qemu/bridge.conf for that to
work. Then stuff all the details in a qemu bug report.

- Cole