[fedora-virt] Revert Snapshots - VM Definition won't revert

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 13:01:10 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 05:21 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just realized that when one does revert to a previous snapshot ("start
> a snapshot"), the properties of the actual virtual machine don't revert
> back as they looked when the snapshot was taken.  For example (on a
> powered-down VM):
>
> - take snapshot X
> - Add some hardware (a new disk)
> - revert to snapshot X
>
> At this point I would expect the recently added disk to be removed from
> the VM definition (and for the qcow2 file to be deleted from disk as
> well) since those weren't there when the snapshot was taken.
>
> I think that's the correct way it should behave and thereforew, when you
> revert to a snapshot,  instead of saying;
>
> "All disk changes since the last snapshot was created will be discarded."
>
> ... it should simply say:
>
> "All changes since the last snapshot was created will be discarded."
>
> What do you guys think?

Thanks for the suggestion. When the VM is offline, I changed the revert
message to 'all disk and configuration changes...'. I wanted to keep it
explicit with the 'disk' bit, since 'all changes' is a bit generic, and we
already use that phrase to refer to discarding UI changes in the details
dialog. I want the message to be very clear that we are talking about actual
changes inside the guest.

commit 9d743ab4c80416af481290018d2c1b026c4ed1ce