[Fwd: Re: Fedora community (Was: Revised Fedora Core website - Where are the links?)]

Thomas Chung tchung at fedora.redhat.com
Sat Dec 24 04:51:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:31:06 -0600, Patrick Barnes wrote
> Websites Team,
>
> There's been a thread going on in fedora-list regarding our transition
> to fedoraproject.org.  It brings up an excellent point.  Except among
> ourselves, we have done a poor job of advertising what we are doing to
> the rest of the community.  Although more and more resources are
> becoming available on fedoraproject.org, and more links are pointing to
> it, we haven't done much to tell people that we are now focusing on
> fedoraproject.org.  With our recent revamp of fedora.redhat.com, we
> removed a great deal of content and left little more than a basic set of
> pages in place, but we didn't directly tell users where the information
> had gone.  Many of the links there do now point to fedoraproject.org,
> but there's no explicit declaration of what is happening.  I'd love to
> hear suggestions about how we can best remedy this oversight.
>
> I also know that a lot of people have asked why we don't have more
> content on the front page of fedora.redhat.com.  I've been trying to
> find a reasonable way to publish news there that is synchronized with
> the news from fedoraproject.org.  Beyond that, I'd love to hear
> suggestions for other valuable content that could go on the front page.
> Karsten, Greg and I haven't really heard a whole lot of feedback on the
> new fedora.redhat.com, so if each of you would take a few minutes to
> browse the site and return to the list with your insight, that would be
> great.
>
> Even if we are going to finish moving content away from
> fedora.redhat.com, we need to come up with key content to remain there,
> and the main content will likely be moved to fedoraproject.org (which we
> will need to advertise better).  Whatever CMS (or non-CMS) solution we
> choose, we need to maintain our static content, and we need to tell our
> userbase what we are doing.
>
> --
> Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
> nman64 at n-man.com
>
> http://www.n-man.com/
> --
> Have I been helpful?  Rate my assistance!  http://rate.affero.net/nman64/

Here is my feedback.

Now that we have an official approval from Greg to use new fedora logo, let's actively
put it in use.

As a start, I would like to see "Fedora Logo Design" image right on the main page.

Then, we could point to following useful sites:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ

Merry Christmas and Happy *Fedora* New Year! :)
--
Thomas Chung