Fwd: Re: Fedora 14 AMIs

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Nov 4 04:01:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 17:52 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 16:39, Jon Masters <jonathan at jonmasters.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 11:48 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>
> > I don't mean to sound unenthusiastic about the new design. While
> > visually appealing, it sadly doesn't "do it" for me like the Ubuntu page
> > does in saying what I want and how I get it.
>
> I am tired, I am grumpy and I am tired and grumpy about these sorts of
> emails right after a release. You will probably get a nicer answer
> from the people who actually did all the hard work, but I am not a
> nice person right now.
>
> The web group worked really hard on this, they designed it in the
> open, went through several revisions from input, and got it out under
> a really tight deadline. There was also a LOT of looking at other
> websites and getting ideas from people who were outside of Fedora to
> see how it played with new people. Design points that didn't work were
> removed, and new stuff were put in.
>
> The people here worked as professionals and deserve some professional
> courtesy versus a bike shedding critique.

I appreciate your point. Lots of people did lots of work, and this is
all true. Nonetheless, I am reporting subjectively that I went to the
site and wasn't directly informed there was a new release, where to get
it, or where the wiki even was. This I don't call "bikeshedding". That
would be "oh geeze, I don't like the color" or "the Javascript looks bad
on my cellphone" or whatever. I'll try nicer phrasing next time :)

Jon.