get-fedora.html l10n markup issue

Sijis Aviles sijis at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 6 16:06:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Argh, if we do a change, we need to commit the new html file AND the
> new POT rebuilt? As the pot file is not rebuilt online. I forgot
> this... Sorry, now I understand the problem.

Yeah, when updating a string in a file, we should typically update (commit)
the updated .pot file. I personally don't do it all the time as i think its
rude to constantly be changing the .pot file on a translator. I tend to push
the updated po/pot files when there a are several changes and bulk them in
one commit.

> But, in the Sijis' commit, by changing XFCE to Xfce I think this
> process is not useful because we also want all languages to update
> their translations accordingly.
> Here we would have to parse all po file to correct this specific word
> in a foreign language.
> In that case I propose to generate only the new pot file and let
> translators to adapt their translations.

Yeah, regenerating the whole thing may be worth it. I'm sure there are other
strings that have been updated but not the pot file.

Alternatively, we could replace this string in the po files

msgid "KDE, XFCE, GNOME, and others"

and change XFCE to Xfce and update the fedora-web.pot file.

Doing all that may be too much effort that just updating any and all missing
or updated strings.

Sijis