[Fedora-xen] Benchmark comparison of Xen vs. KVM - advice?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Nov 9 18:01:37 UTC 2010

On 10-11-09 12:54 PM, jonr at destar.net wrote:
> Digimer,
>
> I would think the latest xen vs the latest kvm would be best. Fully
> virtualized vs Para-virtualized, is that possible with kvm? I don't
> believe your specs are too low end, they actually match pretty close
> to what I have and I don't think the OS matters that much as long as
> they are identical setups.
>
> Thanks for offering to do the comparison, I am very interested in your
> results.
>
> Jon

I will look into whether fully virtualized is an option for KVM. If not,
I probably won't worry as all "modern" operating systems support
paravirtualized setups.

I've got no way of knowing how to run tests on non-linux VMs. If anyone
can give advice on benchmarking non-Linux OS', I'd be grateful and will
give it a go.

Can you (or anyone) suggests tests to run beyond bonnie++ and a kernel
compile that would be "real-world" and useful benchmarks? I think one
test that will help would be to run tests concurrently on two VMs to see
if there is a difference in how Xen or KVM handle very random disk I/O.

PS - I will likely need a week or so to get these tests done.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com