How can we improve the spin?

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 22:42:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Sergio <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jayson.
> I think that your suggested modifications look nicer (
> http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/xfce_screenshots/f17_alt_a.png ),
> although the xfwm theme that comes with the spin is nice too.

I agree, that Nodoka looks nice, it just looks dated. I think it's
been around since Fedora 8 or 9.
My biggest nags w/ the default layout are the borders around the clock
and notification area - not sure why they bother me so :)
Same for the App menu logo.

> Personally, I think that Adwaita is a good GTK theme to use on the spin if
> only because it's from GNOME and so it works properly (GTK3 up to now keeps
> braking themes). I don't use it, I use MediterraneanNight (from
> gnome-look.org ) because it has options for window background that ain't
> white.

I agree 100% on Adwaita. Although I like the darker look/feed of
Greybird, I know it's an acquired taste for sure.

> I also think that the panel width should be kept as it is; 24px can be small
> for some people.

Interesting thought...GNOME 2 had 24px panels by defualt, and I don't
know that I'd ever seen anyone grow them to 30(+)...but I'd honestly
never thought of 24px being too small. Good point though.

>The second panel is also there so people are inspired to
> play with the panel capabilities. I use it for launchers in auto-hiding mode
> (try using a 1024x768 screen like me).

I can see that use for it...*if* on autohide (Xubuntu has a
transparent bottom panel on autohide to mimic a 'dock').

> Once I wrote to Christoph Wickert about adding a matching icon theme for
> Claws mail but it must be packaged, so there's this limitation too.

The Elementary Icon Theme has a nice mail icon that Claws picks up.

> Personally I think the spin is very good. It's lightweight and brings only
> what one needs to start (more on this below).
> I don't think the looks is that important. If the default look was so bad we
> would report a bug upstream so they would fix it.

I agree 100%. It doesn't look 'bad' at all, just trying to think of
ways to add polish.

> The most important thing I see now is to replace GDM and whatever GNOME
> stuff that ain't strictly necessary for the system (like NetworkManager,
> which works well and should be kept, IMO).

I agree there as well. I'm looking forward to LightDM in F18 (assuming
that's still the plan).

Thanks so much for your comments Sergio!

--
-jayson