[Milkymist-devel] Milkymist tools in FEL

Gerard Braad gbraad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 14 12:59:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 08:01:46AM +0800, Gerard Braad Jr. wrote:
>> > Hello there,
>> >
>> > Well, I think others have already answer you briefly. It's a win-win
>> > situation for both communities.
>> > Sébastien and Gerard already expressed their views from a milkymist angle.
>> >
>> > Let me now tell you how FEL benefits.
>> > Free Electronic Lab focuses on ASIC design flows, our solutions in
>> > embedded environment was pretty poor. Thus this collaboration will
>> > help us identify the needs of a vibrant Milkymist community and
>> > extends our portfolio. Our collaboration is based on a hope that users
>> > will get an out of the box platform for instant hardware development.
>> >
>> > Our goals include "promote open hardware". Our existence is based on a
>> > hope to enhance hardware engineers experience using opensource EDA
>> > tools. We operate like a EDA/CAD group of a company but for the
>> > opensource hardware community.
>> >
>> > Our action items for milkymist is listed here
>> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-electronic-lab/wiki/Milkymist
>> >
>> > # yum groupinstall milkymist
>> >
>> > is already available on upcoming F-14 and upcoming RHEL-6. Currently
>> > tools available under the "yum groupinstall milkymist" includes all
>> > DONE items in the above url. Others will find their way once we have
>> > time to package and push their to the mirrors.
>>
>> will there be an official announcement \out these updates when F14
>> gets released? it is a noteworthy addition and it shows we have done
>> collaboration with a proejct in a totally different field;
>
> This could easily go in the release announcement:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_announcement
>
> Note that announcement is currently blank, and awaiting a volunteer to
> assemble it from a combination of information from earlier
> announcements, the release notes, and other important data.  A
> completed version for F13 is here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_announcement

I will spend some time on getting the information for the official F14
announcement. At least Chitlesh had stated it very nice as what it
means to Fedora, FEL and Milkymist on the Devel list:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/144222.html

I will also get some more information on what we contribute to Fedora
with this inclusion.

Gerard

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>          Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com

Gerard Braad — 吉拉德
   Project-lead Fedora-MIPS