On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:23:30 -0400 (EDT)
Max Spevack <mspevack(a)fedoraproject.org> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Tim Flink wrote:
> How long do we want to wait for the koji produced AMIs? I thought
> that there was talk of just using the BG AMIs for F15 and the koji
> produced AMIs should be ready for F16.
> I ask because QA would like to get the F15 EC2 test day done before
> the F16 test days start picking up. We would like to get the
> announcement (with AMI ids) out by 8/1 and have the test day done
> by 8/4.
> Is this going to be possible? If it isn't, how long do we want to
> wait before giving up on the idea of a F15 EC2 test day and just
> start with F16?
According to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule
the Alpha of F16
is due out on Aug 16. I agree that it would be useful to do F15
testing in advance of that, but that once F16 Alpha is out, that
should probably be the first priority, IMHO.
The only argument I can think of for keeping with F15 is that we're
still trying to figure all this out. It might be useful to use F15 as a
trial run for F16 but after a point, I agree that the usefulness is
Here's some factors to consider:
Do we have a generalized AMI test plan that is applicable for both
F15 and F16? If so, where is it and do we have any history of
previous AMIs that have been run through that test plan and how
AFAIK, we're figuring this out as we go. Athmane put some test cases
together for the EC2 test day  but to the best of my knowledge, there
is nothing official like the the installation test plan .
Do we have any official QA resources from the Fedora QA group, or is
the QA that we do entirely on volunteer time?
Like James said, it's all volunteer right now. So far, at least Athmane
and I are interested in the test side of things, though.
If we find bugs, how much developer bandwidth is available for the
fixing of them, and what do we predict the release cycle of AMIs
can/will be throughout the F16 cycle? Just because we have an Alpha,
Beta, RC, Gold of F16 doesn't mean we can only build an F16 AMI 4
We need an F16 AMI QA schedule. We need to know if that schedule
includes any guaranteed QA/rel-eng/developer resource time.
I think this is a little more difficult since we're still trying to
figure the process out. In theory, once the rel-eng EBS issues are
figured out, we shouldn't need to do much extra for EC2. Hopefully, we
wouldn't need more than a test day and some people running through test
How detailed of a schedule did you have in mind? I don't think that it
would hurt to set some target dates.