I am seeing some performance issues with the latest gcc rawhide RPM set.
I tried a build of Eclipse with them and it took 650 minutes 42 seconds
where it used to take about 20 - 30 minutes (this is just for the
bytecode, BTW). I watched the log a bit as it built but nothing stood
out to me as taking more time than anything else.
My build did eventually finish, however, so I upgraded to those Eclipse
RPMs and tried to run Eclipse. Startup is very slow. I used OProfile
to grab some data and put it here:
Then I reset OProfile and grabbed some data while using Eclipse for a
few minutes. I have two small projects checked out and I cleaned them,
opened a file (which took a very long time), moved around a bit in the
file, closed it, and reopened it (which took much less time). Here is
the report from that session:
The top of both reports is similar. Here's the top of the startup
samples % app name symbol name
1814289 28.7922 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 __deregister_frame_info_bases
1764105 27.9958 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 add_fdes
1040376 16.5105 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 size_of_encoded_value
693446 11.0048 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 classify_object_over_fdes
539261 8.5579 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 __ucmpdi2
I can get more information if you need.