I had a look through recent archives but couldn't see anything - are
RPMs for Ruby v1.9 likely to be available for Fedora 14 somewhere? I
saw RPMs for RHEL . .
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
I am wondering why we are keeping the original gem file in cache folder
of rubygems? I see that they might come handy only in one scenario,
calling "gem unpack foo" when working offline. Is anybody using this
scenario? Is there any other reason?
Based on my discussions with the community and various parties that
have a vested interest in this, I feel that it is a good idea to move
the rubygem-rails packages to rails 3.0.x for F15 so that we don't get
left behind and stay up to date w/ the latest / greatest upstream releases.
Unfortunately this process isn't as simple as updating the 6 rails
packages (rails itself and the active/action* packages), there are many
various gems which will need to be updated as well to work with Rails 3.
Based on my findings w/ deltacloud , the update process itself isn't
so difficult, but some of the following gems will need to be updated in
Fedora for things to properly work. Most likely more will need to be as
well, these are just the ones that I've found, but conversely all of
these may not need to be updated, as I installed Rails 3 via gem which
pulled in the latest version of all these packages.
* rails, activesupport, activerecord, actionpack, activeresource, actionmailer - 2.3.8 -> 3.0.1 (mmorsi)
* compass - 0.8.17 -> 0.10.6 (mmorsi)
* cucumber - 0.9.0 -> 0.9.3 (kanarip, mfojtik, mkent, stahnma)
* erubis - 2.6.5 -> 2.6.6 (mkent)
* gherkin - 2.2.4 -> 2.2.9 (mfojtik)
* haml - 3.0.17 -> 3.0.23 (mkent, kanarip)
* polyglot - 0.2.5 -> 0.3.1 (kanarip, stahnma)
* rack - 1.1.0 -> 1.2.1 (kanarip, stahnma)
* rack-test - 0.5.4 -> 0.5.6 (mfojtik)
* rspec - 1.3.0 -> 2.0.1 (stahnma)
* simple-navigation - 3.0.0 -> 3.0.2 (mfojtik)
* sinatra - 1.0 -> 1.1.0 (mfojtik)
* sqlite3-ruby - 1.2.4 -> 1.3.2 (kanarip, stahnma)
* term-ansicolor - 1.0.3 -> 1.0.5 (hpejakle, mfojtik)
* thor - 0.13.6 -> 0.14.3 (mkent)
* treetop - 1.3.0 -> 1.4.8 (stahnma)
Also the following are new gems which will need to be packaged
* arel (1.0.1)
* autotest (4.4.2)
* bundler (1.0.3)
* database_cleaner (0.6.0)
* factory_girl_rails (1.0)
* i18n (0.4.2)
* mail (2.2.29)
* tilt (1.1)
* timecop (0.3.5)
* rack-mount (0.6.13)
* railties (3.0.1)
* rspec-core, rspec-expectations, rspec-mocks, rspec-rails (2.0.1)
* tzinfo (0.3.23)
In the upcoming weeks (most likely starting after the new year) I will
be looking to updating the rails packages themselves and coordinating
updates with the owners of these gems. I also think it might be a good
idea to submit a feature request for Fedora 15 for Rails 3.
Thoughts, comments, and help with any and all of this would be very much
appreciated. Thanks alot.