= Proposed Self Contained Change: Rust Compiler =
* Josh Stone <jistone at redhat dot com>
Introduce packages for the Rust compiler and its Cargo build system.
== Detailed Description ==
In the project's own words, "Rust is a systems programming language
that runs blazingly fast, prevents segfaults, and guarantees thread
safety." Cargo is Rust's primary package manager and build system.
This change is to bring both into Fedora.
Rust 1.10.0 was released on July 7 along with Cargo 0.11.0. These will
be the initial targets to package. Rust's next release is scheduled
for August 18 on a 6-week cycle. Backwards compatibility is taken very
seriously, so it should be possible to keep upgrading throughout a
Fedora release's lifetime. It might be debatable whether Fedora users
want those upgrades or not.
* Bug request to package rust #915043
* Work in progress rust-spec for the latest release 1.10
* COPR jistone/rust demonstrating the bootstrap from a binary then pure source
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Get rust and cargo into Fedora, and maintain them
in the future.
* Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Policies and guidelines:
- Possibly add new guidelines for packages written in Rust. This can
be done after.
- Considerations are pretty similar to PackagingDrafts/Go, especially
static linking and the idea of source-based -devel libraries.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic