In case it wasn't obvious from all of the commit messages, I did go
ahead and remove many needless %defattr directives from a large number
of packages a few hours ago.
I used the output of the find-needless-defattr script from
as a guide for which
packages needed modifications, but I made the changes by sed'ing out
only specific %defattr directives (not all defattr statements) appearing
as the _first_ line of a %files section (including the %files sections
for subpackages). This probably does not capture all needless uses of
%defattr but it certainly gets the vast majority of them.
I verified that the %defaddr directives removed were equivalent to the
default, individually verified the diffs to ensure that I did not delete
lines I did not intend to delete, and then committed and pushed the
changes. I did not update Release: or add to %changelog as these
changes do not result in any changes to the build products.
Expect more automated cleanup like this in the future. Next up is the
few remaining packages which still use BuildRoot:. Later I will go back
and audit by hand the remaining uses of %defattr in the distribution.