== Summary ==
A new ''perl 5.32'' version brings a lot of changes done over a year
of development. Perl 5.32 will be released in May 2020. See
5.31.10 perldelta] for more details about preparing release.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Jplesnik| Jitka Plesníková]]
* Email: <jplesnik(a)redhat.com>
* Name: [[User:Ppisar| Petr Písař]]
* Email: <ppisar(a)redhat.com>
=== Completed Items ===
=== Items in Progress ===
=== Items to Be Done ===
* Upstream to release Perl 5.32
* Get dedicated build-root <!-- [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8384
build-root from rel-engs (''f31-perl'') ] -->
* Define perl_bootstrap in perl-srpm-macros
* Rebase perl to 5.32.0
<!--* Build new perl 5.32 keeping old COMPAT Provides -->
* Rebuild dual-lived packages (otherwise dnf recommends --skip-broken and fails)
* Rebuild packages needed for minimal build-root
* Rebuild packages needed for building source packages from git repository
* Rebuild other packages: Use Fedora::Rebuild dependency solver
<!--* Remove old perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.30.*) from perl -->
* Undefine perl_bootstrap
* Rebuild packages having perl_bootstrap condition in spec file
* Rebuild all updated packages
Final lists of results]
* Merge dedicated build-root to rawhide and remove the dedicated one by rel-engs
* Synchronize packages upgraded in ''f33'' build root
* Rebuilt Perl packages: 0 of 3182 done (0.00%)
* Failed builds (0):
== Detailed Description ==
New perl is released every year and updates containing mainly bug
fixes follow during the year. The 5.32.0 version is stable release
== Benefit to Fedora ==
Up-to-date and latest perl release will be delivered to Fedora users.
== Scope ==
Every Perl package will be rebuilt in a dedicated ''f33-perl''
build-root against perl 5.32.0 and then if no major problem emerges
the packages will be merged back to ''f33'' build-root.
* Proposal owners:
New perl and all packages requiring perl or a Perl module will be
rebuilt into ''f33-perl'' build-root.
* Other developers:
Owners of packages that fail to rebuild, mainly perl-sig users, will
be asked using Bugzilla to fix or remove their packages from the
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9387
Release engineers will be asked for new ''f33-perl'' build-root
inheriting from ''f33'' build-root. After successful finishing the
rebuild, they will be asked to merge ''f33-perl'' packages back to
* Policies and guidelines:
No policies have to be modified to complete this change.
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Vast majority of functionality will be preserved. Only the packages
that failed to build against perl 5.30 will be removed from the
distribution. That will require to remove those packages from existing
systems otherwise package manager will encounter unsatisfied
== How To Test ==
Try upgrading from Fedora 32 to 33. Try some Perl application to
verify they work as expected. Try embedded perl in slapd or snmpd.
== User Experience ==
There should not be any remarkable change in user experience. With the
exception that previously locally installed modules with a CPAN
clients will need a reinstalation.
== Dependencies ==
There is more than 3100 packages depending on perl. Most of them are
expected not to break. Finishing this change can be endangered only by
critical changes in a toolchain.
== Contingency Plan ==
If we find perl 5.32 is not suitable for Fedora 33, we will revert
back to perl 5.30 and we drop the temporary build-root with already
* Contingency deadline: branching Fedora 33 from Rawhide.
* Blocks release? No.
== Documentation ==
* An announcement on the perl-devel mailing list
* An announcement on fedora-devel mailing list
== Release Notes ==
* TBD - when release candidate appears
He / Him / His
Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream