= System Wide Change: Fedora 26 Boost 1.63 upgrade =
* Jonathan Wakely < jwakely AT redhat DOT com >
This change brings Boost 1.63.0 to Fedora 26. This will mean F26 ships
with a recent upstream Boost release.
== Detailed Description ==
The aim is to synchronize Fedora with the most recent Boost release.
Because ABI stability is one of explicit Boost non-goals, this entails
rebuilding of all dependent packages. This has also always entailed
yours truly assisting maintainers of client packages in decoding
cryptic boost-ese seen in output from g++. Such care is to be expected
this time around as well.
Boost 1.63 is scheduled for release on Dec 14th, 2016. It's possible
that 1.64.0 will be released early enough in the F26 schedule to
rebase on that instead, with beta releases available for testing in
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
- Build will be done with Boost.Build v2 (which is the
upstream-sanctioned way of building Boost)
- Request a "f25-boost" build system tag (discussion):
- Build boost into that tag (take a look at the build #606493 for inspiration)
- Post a request for rebuilds to fedora-devel
- Work on rebuilding dependent packages in the tag.
- When most is done, re-tag all the packages to rawhide
- Watch fedora-devel and assist in rebuilding broken Boost clients (by
fixing the client, or Boost).
* Other developers:
Those who depend on Boost DSOs will have to rebuild their packages.
Feature owners will alleviate some of this work as indicated above,
and will assist those whose packages fail to build in debugging them.
* Release engineering: Side tag creation.
* List of deliverables: All deliverables will include updated Boost packages
* Policies and guidelines: Apart from scope, this is business as
usual, so no policies, no guidelines.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic