This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This
proposal will only be implemented if approved by the Fedora
Engineering Steering Committee.
== Summary ==
Firefox langpacks, which have been bundled in the Fedora firefox base
package until now, will be moved to a firefox-langpacks subpackage.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Petersen| Jens Petersen]]
* Email: <petersen(a)redhat.com>
* Name: [[User:Stransky| Martin Stransky]]
* Email: <mstransky(a)redhat.com>
== Detailed Description ==
The firefox packages carries many langpacks containing translations
and other localization data for different countries and languages.
This Change will move them to a separate subpackage pulled in as a
weak dependency by the base package.
== Feedback ==
Initial discussion: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2035178
== Benefit to Fedora ==
This makes Fedora a little more modular: going forward it will be
possible to install firefox without having to have all the langpacks
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** Update Rawhide firefox to add the langpacks subpackage
* Other developers: none
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10858
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
When upgrading to Fedora 37, firefox's new weak dependency will pull
in the firefox-langpacks subpackage,
so users should not experience any change by default.
== How To Test ==
* install firefox and check that firefox-langpacks gets pulled in
* test that firefox's langpacks are functioning normally
* test upgrade from F36 to F37 and ensure that the firefox-langpacks
subpackage gets installed.
== User Experience ==
Users will have a new firefox-langpacks subpackage installed by default.
If they don't require localization they can remove it and benefit from
lighter firefox updates
and save about 50MB of diskspace.
== Dependencies ==
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: proposal owners will revert firefox.spec to
not subpackage langpacks
* Contingency deadline: before final freeze
* Blocks release? No
== Documentation ==
== Release Notes ==
Firefox's langpacks have been moved to a subpackage for greater
FPgM team member