This is a proposed Change for Fedora Linux.
This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
== Summary ==
Update the PHP stack in Fedora to the latest version 8.3.x
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Remi| Remi Collet]] and [[SIGs/PHP|PHP SIG]]
* Email: remi at fedoraproject dot org
== Current status ==
* A testing SCL and a testing module are available in my
* List of [https://github.com/remicollet/remirepo/issues/237
extensions compatibility list]
Upstream schedule for 8.3]
First RC is planed for August 31th, GA is planed for November 23th.
== Detailed Description ==
Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 8.3.x.
Fedora has a 6 months cycle, PHP a 1 year cycle, our common practice
for some years:
* 2 Fedora cycles for each PHP minor release (exceptions below)
* 3 Fedora cycles for latest minor (e.g. 5.6 or 7.4) to give more time
before next major
* 1 Fedora cycle for first major (e.g. 7.0 or 8.0)
Fedora 37 has PHP 8.1, Fedora 38 and 39 have PHP 8.2.
== Benefit to Fedora ==
Provides the latest PHP version to developers and system administrators.
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Check Koschei status. Test with latest version to
ensure compatibility. Work with upstream on bug fixing. Needed mass
rebuild (C extensions) done by change owner.
* Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issues
#Releng issue number]
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
== How To Test ==
* The PHP stack (extensions and libraries) are monitored by Koschei,
see the [https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/groups/php?order_by=state%2C-started
Koschei PHP group]
* install and play with your web applications
== User Experience ==
Developers and system administrators will have the great benefit or
running the latest PHP version.
== Dependencies ==
All php-* packages (and some *-php)
== Contingency Plan ==
<!-- If you cannot complete your feature by the final development
freeze, what is the backup plan? This might be as simple as "Revert
the shipped configuration". Or it might not (e.g. rebuilding a number
of dependent packages). If you feature is not completed in time we
want to assure others that other parts of Fedora will not be in
* Contingency mechanism: Drop not compatible packages.
* Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Blocks release? N/A
== Documentation ==
<!-- * [https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration83.php
PHP 8.2.x to PHP 8.3.x] -->
== Release Notes ==
Community Platform Engineering Team
Red Hat EMEA