Indian Team's Web Event on Cultural Freedom Day
Page will be improved soon
Cultural Freedom Day will be celebrated by the Indian team through the
active collaboration of the following Free Software groups:
1. Women in Free Software and Culture
2. GLUG Kolkata
3. Fedora India
4. Mozilla India
5. Many Others
The focus will be on improving/increasing the participation of women
in free software and improving related cultural aspects. This will be
of much relevance in a backward country like India.
On the day we intend to organize two hackathons, a tutorial and a pair
of competitions. All of these will be conducted through the Web.
1. Competition-1 will be on digital art using exclusively Free
Software tools. The proposed theme is "Women and Gender Related
Issues". Participants will be judged on their knowledge, expression,
clarity and quality of work. Semantic part of this competition will be
managed by A. Mani. One additional expert will judge the artistic
2. Media-wiki Hackathon conducted by Sucheta Ghoshal. This hackathon
will include an introduction and more advanced parts. These are
3. Hackathon + Tutorial on Localization by Chandan Kumar.
4. GIMP/Inkscape Tutorial by Ashfaq Farooqui.
5. Competition-2 will be a quiz on Free Software, Fedora Linux,
GNU/Linux, Philosophy and Policy Conducted by a substantial part of
6. Educational Tutorials on Free software and Culture will also be
part of the gallery.
Both competitions will involve interesting prizes.
We intend to publicize the event through various channels to ensure
Certificates will be awarded to all participants, while prizes will
need to be fought for.
This page was registered for the Kolkata team, but due to lack of more
participation from India, we decided to pool our efforts.
CU, ASL, AMS, CLC, CMS